We are a learning community committed to personal growth and academic excellence.
LA CAÑADA UNIFIED SCHOOL DISTRICT
Provide the cohesive and rigorous curriculum, instruction and assessment that enable students to communicate clearly and effectively, to access and apply information, to practice problem solving and inquiry both individually and collaboratively, to think critically, to demonstrate creativity, to utilize technology, to become productive citizens and to become lifelong learners.
A. Implement a comprehensive K-12 curriculum that matches or exceeds state standards in all subject areas.
1. Continue to use curriculum institutes to develop teaching/curriculum guides for all teachers.
2. Continue staff articulation across the district and between grade levels to ensure program consistency and full support of all students' needs.
3. Identify power standards and quarterly anchor assessments for all subjects and all grade levels.
4., 5….(additional site action plans should be included as necessary at this point throughout the document)
B. Implement multiple instructional strategies designed to meet the needs of a diverse student population with a variety of learning styles.
1. Provide teacher training in the classroom application of technology.
2. Expand differentiated instruction across the curriculum to meet the needs of all students.
C. Implement and refine multiple assessments that include student mastery benchmarks tied to district/state standards and systemically gather evidence of student mastery that is analyzed regularly by staff, students and parents as part of ongoing program review and curriculum revision.
1. Utilize assessments and rubrics for all appropriate grade level oral language skills.
2. Review current multiple measures for math and develop new assessments as appropriate.
3. Review current prompts and rubrics for written language and develop new assessments as appropriate.
4. Review LCHS CST results in math, science, social science and English, and address as needed to ensure that all students are succeeding.
II. Student Support:
Ensure that all students receive appropriate support for their academic, social, emotional and individual needs as they work to develop their fullest potential.
A. Evaluate each individual student's learning needs and implement appropriate educational experiences.
1. Ensure that the district student information system is accessible to and utilized by all staff and provides complete student assessment information in order to meet individual student needs.
2 Implement the district master plan for ELL students and review annually.
3. Review and modify as appropriate the district master plan for GATE students.
4. Review and modify as appropriate Special Ed services and programs to ensure best use of resources.
5. Recognize and address the needs of all students including the middle- achieving students.
6. Provide intervention services as needed in a timely manner for all students.
7. Review 7-12 bell and master schedule to ensure optimal program delivery.
8. Review transition from K to 1st grade to ensure all students have adequate skills preparation.
9. Research role of gender in maximizing individual learning opportunities.
B. Maintain or reduce class sizes, as funding allows, in core subjects for grades
4 – 12.
1. Implement ongoing study of CSR (including research data, optimum class size and potential funding sources) and refine options and recommendations.
C. Provide opportunities, through Developmental Assets and similar support programs that allow all students to develop social skills, experience leadership, apply personal ethics, develop character and citizenship, practice tolerance and value cultural diversity.
1. Reconsider service requirement for graduation.
2. Research the impact of gender on character development and socialization programs.
3. Implement school climate surveys to determine effectiveness of Developmental Assets and other character development programs.
D. Expand district wide student recognition programs.
1. Review scope of 7-12 student recognition programs.
E. Provide opportunities that enable students to maintain strong physical and emotional health.
1. Review 7-12 health curriculum.
F. Provide diverse opportunities for all students to integrate the arts into their lifelong learning experiences.
G. Provide experiences, information and resources that enable all students to explore their future vocations and avocations.
1. Continue to enhance college and career counseling services to ensure a level of service comparable to top public and private secondary schools.
2. Provide school to work pathway counseling.
3. Support and guide students to become lifelong readers.
H. Provide opportunities that help parents support their students' educational, ethical
and creative growth.
1. Continue regular, ongoing parent education and information sessions at all grade levels (e.g., workshops, orientations, programs, Back to School Nights, Open House).
2. Clarify purpose and provide staff direction on 7-12 Open House.
3. Provide a variety of opportunities for direct parent-teacher contact that support student growth.
4. Ensure that all staff post grades on line in a timely manner.
5. Encourage and train staff to develop websites to post homework assignments, long term projects, etc.
I. Provide appropriate counseling services for students
III. Staff Development:
Hire and support staff who recognize that their primary goals are to provide the highest quality education for all students, to represent the highest standards of professionalism, to incorporate the best and most current knowledge in their particular fields of work, to embrace the value of being lifelong learners, to create an environment of trust, respect and mutual support within the school and broader community and to recognize, support and appreciate students as whole, unique individuals.
A. Actively recruit, train, support, retain and evaluate highly qualified staff members.
1. Implement legally appropriate processes to address underperforming staff members and provide an annual summary to Governing Board of evaluation data (including numbers falling into each of the three overall evaluation categories) and an analysis of effectiveness.
2. Work with LCTA, CSEA, CMSA and other key stakeholders to research alternative compensation models including performance-based compensation.
B. Provide for collegial staff support, planning, collaboration, mentoring, reflection and growth.
1. Annually identify thematic areas for staff development specific to the needs of the district.
C. Assist individual staff members in the development and pursuit of personal, professional goals/growth, particularly as they relate to the curriculum/instruction/assessment goals.
D. Implement and refine an annual system for teachers and administrators to gather student and parent feedback on classroom instruction, homework assignments, assessment preparation and graded assessment review by department, course and/or grade level.
IV. Facilities, Technology and Equipment:
Provide quality facilities, technology, instructional materials and other equipment to support student learning and provide the corresponding training to ensure effective use of all district resources by all stakeholders.
A. Ensure safe and secure campuses.
1. Evaluate and recommend the use of facilities, technology, and equipment on all campuses to enhance safety and security.
2. Consider installation of security cameras and additional lighting on the
7-12 campus and elementary campuses to enhance student security.
3. Review procedures for monitoring weekend LCHS campus use and for compliance by user groups with cleanliness standards.
B. Implement and update the Facilities Master Plan as needed but at no greater than eight year intervals.
C. Implement and update the district master technology plan at no greater than three year intervals.
1. Maximize student and staff utilization of computers.
2. Fine tune the Eagle Data System to streamline the annual enrollment process and maximize teacher access to student information.
3. Implement state student ID system.
4. Review the actual use of technology in the classroom and provide teacher support as necessary.
5. Expand the use of technology as a communication tool between district, staff, students and community.
6. Develop plan for regular upgrade of district technology and identify on- going funding source to implement plan.
D. Review the district library plan annually.
1. Maximize educational impact of LCHS Information Resource Center [IRC] for all LCUSD students and the La Cañada Flintridge community.
E. Implement and monitor a food service master plan that is cost effective and provides a nutritious and high quality product that is appealing to the student population.
F. Coordinate the acquisition of instructional resources district-wide.
V. Financial Management:
Provide financial management that is fiscally sound, entrepreneurial and supportive of a stable educational program.
A. Maintain effective district budget planning, operations and monitoring.
1. Maintain a balanced budget.
B. Maintain effective site and program budget planning, operations and monitoring.
1. Ensure principals manage budgets so that current balances are spent on current student needs.
C. Implement effective district oversight of reserves and special funds.
1. Maintain required reserve at 0.5% above statutory requirement.
2. Maintain at required levels those reserves which must be included in budgets submitted to the county.
3. Maintain other reserves, exclusive of bond funds, as appropriate and financially prudent.
D. Maintain effective district and site level planning and monitoring of capital facilities projects.
1. Maximize effective use of bond funds while monitoring soft costs.
2. Ensure that construction improvements support curriculum needs.
E. Strengthen entrepreneurial sources of income.
1. Maximize income potential from surplus property.
2. Actively pursue grant monies where appropriate for district programs and capital projects.
F. Nurture community efforts to financially support education programs.
1. Minimize emergency funding by community groups.
2. Utilize Management Team to coordinate funding from support/booster groups.
3. Utilize Budget Advisory Committee to provide information to stakeholders on state financial issues and to gather input on LCUSD budget decisions.
4. Maintain active communication with all district support groups.
G. Increase awareness of and input into the LCUSD funding process.
1. Establish and maintain a superintendent's budget advisory committee.
2. Develop various methods for communicating with stakeholders on budget issues.
VI. Communication and Decision-Making:
Develop and maintain partnerships that involve students, parents, community, staff, administration and board members through various collaborative decision-making processes.
A. Develop and implement communication plans to support district goals among stakeholders.
1. Maximize effectiveness of district website as a communication tool.
2. Utilize board liaisons to communicate with community.
3. Maintain online district newsletter.
4. Report out to community on major Board-Superintendent goals.
B. Provide opportunities for stakeholders to participate in program review and the showcasing of student work.
C. Evaluate enhancement of direct communication to broader community.
VII. Public Policy:
Advocate public policy at local, state and national levels that supports and enhances the educational programs of LCUSD.
A. Maintain effective communication with legislators.
1. Utilize Five Star Coalition and CALSSD memberships to strengthen educational program.
B. Collaborate with other districts to promote common legislative interests.
1. Oppose unfunded mandates.
2. Support full reimbursement of costs associated with state and federal mandates.
3. Increase state funding for LCUSD.
C. Maintain communication with local constituents on educational issues important to LCUSD.
1. Maintain Legislative Action Committee to include PTA and the community.