Dear LCUSD Community Member,
Thank you for visiting the Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion (DEI) page of the LCUSD website. I invite you to review the Guiding Documents, Definitions, LCUSD DEI 3-Year Implementation Plan, and Resources provided here. As you familiarize yourself with the LCUSD DEI Initiative, it’s important to remember that it was developed with input from a wide range of District stakeholders committed to adhering to LCUSD’s Guiding Principles, which state:
LCUSD adheres to the following guiding principles in all facets of its work as a school district. LCUSD will make organizational decisions that promote:
- The best interests of its students;
- The academic excellence of its educational program;
- The safety and security of its students, staff, families, and facilities; and
- The wellness of students, staff, and families and their sense of belonging within the district and school community.
Additionally, the LCUSD DEI Special Committee worked diligently to create a DEI Commitment Statement which highlights and emphasizes the reasons that this work is so essential to the overall mission and vision of LCUSD.
The DEI Commitment Statement is cited below:
As part of our mission as a learning community committed to personal growth and academic excellence, La Cañada Unified School District will strive to ensure safer and more welcoming environments and experiences for all students, staff, and families.
LCUSD will actively promote diversity, equity, and inclusion by:
- Preparing LCUSD students to thrive in a diverse world;
- Ensuring LCUSD students and staff are safe, respected, have positive interpersonal connections, and get the support they need;
- Helping LCUSD students to learn and grow from mistakes and harmful choices.
To achieve this, LCUSD will provide an academically rigorous and culturally responsive educational program designed to challenge and engage every learner. LCUSD will support students’ educational and life pursuits by strategically fostering relationships and behaviors which nurture personal health, resilience, agency, and empathy. LCUSD will dynamically engage with our students, staff, and families to identify those who are marginalized and evolve its practices accordingly.
LCUSD is dedicated to creating campus environments where all students thrive in a climate of care and have a sense of belongingness. Within these safe and inclusive school cultures, educational programs which emphasize rigorous instruction and engaged learning flourish, preparing our students as the leaders of tomorrow.