La Cañada Unified School District

Skip to main content
Main Menu Toggle
Please Create A Marquee
District Departments » Health Services » Medication Administration at School

Medication Administration at School

Prescription medicine may be administered at school when prescribed by a licensed healthcare provider with prescriptive authority in the State of California, and provided in a container labeled by the pharmacy or the legal prescriber. The State of California grants prescriptive authority to physicians (MD and DO), physician assistants (PA), advanced nurse practitioners (ANP, FNP, PNP) and dentists. The proper Request for Giving Medicine at School form (see link) must be completed for administering all medications at school. Permission Forms are only applicable for the current school year and must be completed yearly.
Parents are responsible for providing all medications to the school nurse in original containers accompanied by the appropriate Request for Giving Medicine at School form . The school nurse is responsible for reviewing all medication requests including those for overnight student school travel.
Please see the following notice for more information and detailed requirements.